![]() |
| Having these people chase you is a great motivator to run! |
Lets take it back a bit further.....
Back in my heyday I wasn't a super-athlete, nor was I a slacker. Athletics wise I was about average in most things. One sport that I excelled in when I did it was boxing. No boxing, as I came to learn and appreciate, is not about brawling. There is a beautiful science to it: the way you breathe, the fluid motions of your feet, the way your arm extends and connects with your opponent, the way you block a shot or even learning to take a punch to the face or gut. I was good at it, not because I was some kind of Rocky Balboa, but because I knew how to take a punch and I knew how to throw one back with blinding speed.
The first time I was in a boxing match I was eager and excited. A lot of people had nervous anxieties about getting in the ring...but I was looking forward to it. Part of it may have been that I had a lot of angst and built up aggression at the time and I need to unload fury on some poor soul for a few rounds. My opponent was taller than me and had a longer arm reach, so I had to factor in these things and do my best to get in close and limit the range of his arm. When the bell ring I charged in and came out swinging. I weaved my body around and worked my way in close. One body shot, he grunted, a quick one-two combo to his ribs and stomach and he lurched a bit, and then I saw that perfect opening right to his face. His right shoulder had dropped and because of some good training I saw that split second opportunity. I fired a hook shot with as much force and momentum as I could. His head snapped to one side and I shot out my left with a straight jab to the mouth and nose area. His head arched back and he stepped back to gain some composure.
I came back at him only to see that he had streams of tears running down his face. Now understand, if you hit someone hard enough, usually above the bridge of the nose some people's bodies will naturally start tearing up because of the trauma to the facial area. So I don't think this guy was especially hurt by me, I just hit the right spot at the right time.
At heart I'd like to think I'm a pretty good guy. So when I saw him crying, all my training went out the window and I wanted to make sure he was okay...biggest mistake of my life. I dropped my guard and through my mouth piece asked if he was hurt and he unloaded on me. I had no time to block and my head became the proverbial speed bag. I staggered back and tried to get my feet planted right, but I ended up stumbling over my own feet and fell to the canvas. Coach advised me to stay down because it was just so embarrassing.
So my first fight did not go as planned, but then again most never do. As time went on I got better and kept up with it for a time till college life got to chaotic to balance both.
Press fast forward a few years later and I am in my thirties and teaching. The realm of teaching is challenging in that you make very little money vs the amount of time you put into it. It's not for everyone and if you're not truly dedicated to helping others at your own personal sacrifice then you shouldn't do it. I enjoy my students (most of them) and some of them even like me. One afternoon two of my girls were playing with their Iphone and taking pictures and they asked me to take a picture while making a ridiculous looking face. For them I did...and then they showed me the picture.
I wanted to throw up (literally). The person I was staring at in the photo could not have been me, there was no way I had let myself go that much. I mean sure I had gained a few pounds, and maybe I went up a couple of waist sizes, maybe I was eating bad, and ok, sure I had not seen the inside of a gym in while...but surely those things could not have affected me that much!
They had!
I was mortified that I had become so unhealthy and portly- okay, I will just say it, I was fat. I immediately chided the entire class and asked why none of them told me I looked like crap! To their credit they were sweet and said I looked fine...but then again lies are like candies...sweet. After school I ran to a local grocery store that had a blood pressure and body weight index.
I sat on the bench and inserted my arm in the machine and braced myself for the squeezing pressure that would occur. Every time I heard the sound of air pump into the sleeve of that machine I always cringed. While these tests are not as accurate as a physical at a doctor's office (which I avoid like the plague) I don't think the results were far off. Blood pressure sucked and my weight was a whopping 186....now bear in mind that I'm 5'7 so there is no way I should be weighing that much.
Enter the feeling of wanting to throw up again.
I went home, feeling morbidly depressed (and obese too) and I saw a commercial for an upcoming 5k Zombie Run. I decided to grab my credit card and pay the $85 entrance fee and commit myself to that race. It was certainly a motivator, losing money, and I'm sure other people have a better way of going about things, but I have to have something to prove or lose in order to really excel at something. Being committed to it on a monetary level helped and I started doing some basic runs and trails to get used to some kind of cardio activity again.
I was awful at first, after a mile I was winded and in pain, which was sad because I used to breeze through five miles with relative ease. I stuck with it several times a week and after a few weeks things got a bit easier.
![]() |
| Fat kid can run |
So naturally, the normal course of evolution goes from a 5k run to a 60k run, right? Ultra's seem to have this aura of mystique and prestige about them (at least in my mind). I've always been one to see how far I can push things, and I love proving something to people, so what better way than this.
My first ultramarathon is coming up on June 22 at Pernales Falls State Park in Johnson city Texas. It is a 37 mile run through some great wilderness terrain. I have been training as best as I know how and I've been learning more about this sport everyday. Am I going to come in first place....hell no, but am I going to finish this race? Well for that we will wait and see.
PS. Here is a great before and after picture...still have some things to work on, but from where I was to where I am in the span of five months is encouraging:)
| 35+ pounds gone |
| about to hit the trail |
![]() |
| What my first ultra will look like |



It's going to be a blast. Great time to think & just focus on life, whatever happens to be stressing you at the moment, and just (at the risk of sounding sappy) be 1 w/ nature. See you out there.
ReplyDelete